Sunday 11 December 2011

Together again

I won't go into the details about how I ended up on Israel a full week early. Suffice to say that I am here and that my brothers flew in with my parents, one from Houston and the other joining them in Geneva.

We went to pick my parents up from the airport last night. I didn't entirely know what to expect, so I tried not to expect anything. So the report? His jaundice is quite bad, and he has trouble walking. The biggest problems (if you can call them that) on a day-to-day basis are his cognitive problems. He doesn't know where he is going, he forgets what he is doing after a few seconds and he is talking entirely without reason. Sometimes I think the words that he is saying are not the words that he means, but sometimes he is honestly just talking crap. In his better moments he gets very angry and the reason they got in so late last night is because he absolutely refused to get on the plane. Later he refused to get out of the car (while all the while talking to my brother as if he was an employee of the airport) and then he cried going upstairs to bed. All of these things form a pattern for me that he believes that this is the last time he will be doing any of these things. He knows, if only subconsciously, that he has come home to die. Smart man.

In the meantime, it's quite group effort to handle him all the time. Trying patiently to convince him to do anything is a full-time job, so we take turns, depending on what the situation is. He is still very angry, so we tend to tag-team him, so when he gets mad at one of us, the next one can jump in.

He looks a bit better this morning and is not completely off his head, but we will have to look at what the next few days will bring. I will probably be updating here fairly regularly, as I am going to be in Israel for the foreseeable future.

It is at times like this that I am grateful that I have a close-knit, supportive family. We truly are all in it together and will pull together to try to make this as painless as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment